If you see a group of women who are friends, and are true to themselves; you should get a stool and learn from them.
It is easy to have friends and keep them for a long time, yet be untruthful to each other.
I have seen friends who are so close, yet cannot tell each other their truths without fear; or even have ‘recklessly’ fun with themsleves.
If you have ever had a fallout from a friendship that meant a lot to you, you will approach that term with more care.
In the past years, I have been working on myself on giving my absolute best to be true to those I regard as friends; not just because I want them to stay, but because I want everyone who calls me friend to say so with so much joy and pride.
I read an article recently, and here are some of the points I picked up from people’s expectation of you as a true friend.
(Simply put, people will regard you as a true friend, if you tick all these boxes, or at least most).
- Never leave. Be there for them, even when you are silent.
- Show up when needed. This cannot be faked; you either care enough to show up, or you don’t.
- Don’t let your ego get you to always argue over petty things. Learn to lose some, and lose some more.
- Support and love them, even when you know their weakest trait.
- You are comfortable to be around; no illusion, no holding back.
- They must be able to show how you have helped them grow.
- Be faithful, even when others can’t stand them.
- Celebrate their wins and support their losses.
- Be true to your words.
- Respect their feelings and acknowledge it when you mess up.
- Don’t try and force them to be who you want them to be, love them regardless.
- Phases may change, but the heart is forever the same. Don’t bail out because they are not where you expect them to be.
- Forgive with ease.
- Be loyal.
- Without fear of being misunderstood, tell them the truth in your heart.
- Be vulnerable and allow them to be as well.
- Your loyalty must be also be evident in your character.
- Guide them in times of need, and be able to take guidance from them too.
- Check up on them, be present and do fun things together.
- Listen. Listen. Listen. A true friend listens.
Reading this list out made me realize why I lost some people, and why some people lost me.
Anything that is good and true will cost you an amount of effort, it doesn’t happen automatically.
Give your friends, your absolute best this year, and if you do already, keep them going until it feels natural.
Photo Credit: Pixabay